Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Toddler Months: 26 Months Old

Dear Eli,

It's hard to believe that it's already been 2 months since your 2nd birthday, but here I am again writing a detailed account of what you're doing these days. I was thinking the other day about various school projects you'll have when you get older, and I'm hoping that your teachers will accept the response, "See my blog" when you have to write about your life growing up :) I've made it pretty easy for you kiddo :) All kidding aside though, this blog is such a wonderful outlet for me personally. I love that anytime someone asks me a question about something you did when you were an infant, I can just go pull up a blog post and find a detailed account of everything I could possibly want to know. I also love blogging because even though you're only 2 right now, one day you might read this and think, "Wow, I'm glad my mom did this for me." Ultimately, sweetie, this blog is for you and for our family. These are precious moments in our lives that I want to remember and savor and never let go of...this blog keeps all those memories alive.

Physically: Kicking, running, climbing, jumping, riding your motorcycle, riding your scooter...these are just a few of your favorite things right now. You love to be moving-something that has been the same since you were in my tummy! We're working on getting you to stand on one leg right now and it's pretty funny. You're clumsy like your mother, bless your little heart, so I'm hoping you get your equilibrium before sports become really important to you. Otherwise, there's going to be a lot of extra practices in your future :) You wear mostly 24 month clothes, but can wear some 2T. You weigh about 27 lbs. right now, which isn't saying much because your 8 month old cousin, Grant, weighs 23 lbs. You're a skinny minny and he's a fatty fat, but we still love you both to pieces :)

Verbally: Your language is just exploding and you're adding more words to your vocabulary everyday. You speak in 5 word sentences consistently and love to ask the question, "What's that?" You repeat everything we say. You love to sing songs. Your favorites are "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse," "Old McDonald," "Twinkle, Twinkle," and "Wheels on the Bus." You usually give your Daddy and me an instrument and we all play and sing together. It's lots of fun! You can carry on conversations now, which is LOTS of fun. I love picking you up in the afternoons and getting to hear about your day. You do lots of imaginative play now with Buzz Lightyear and Woody. It's so fun to see your imagination just take off!

Eating: You still have good days and bad days, but we expect that. You love pizza, lima beans, peas, hot dogs, frosted mini wheats, raisins, blueberries, bananas, cheese, veggie sausages, and milk. We have discovered that if we tell you how many bites of something you have to eat, you'll actually eat the required number without a fight. I wish I could just tell you to eat everything on your plate, but that would NEVER happen. I try to guess how many bites it would take you to finish whatever is on your plate so you will end up eating most of what's there and not realize it. Yeah, I'm sneaky like that :)

Sleeping: Dr. R mentioned that as long as you're not climbing out of your crib to not worry about moving you to anything else right now, so we haven't. You go down without a fight by 7:30-8:00 pm, usually wake up early in the morning 4-5 am to come snuggle some with us, and wake up completely by 7 am in the best mood. We are going to work on moving you to a toddler bed soon and also will work on you staying in your bed all night; although, I will miss those snuggle sessions. I love them :)

Activities/Games/Toys: You love to ride your motorcycle around the street in the afternoons when we get home. I thought about just letting your ride to the nearest stop sign, but you wanted to keep going, so we did. We ended up going about 1/2 a mile. I couldn't believe it! You still love being outside, and I'm ready for spring just so you can run and play like you want to do. You love any kind of art (like your Mama), so we paint and color a lot. Like I said previously, you love singing and music, so your musical instruments have become a favorite activity now. You love your new Elefun butterfly game, but you have yet to play it correctly. You like your color words puzzle, number puzzle, and shape puzzle. You love your Leap Frog Tag Junior books, and we read those every single day. You love playing with your trains, blocks, cars, and, of course, Buzz and Woody.

Skills We're Working On:
-Potty training, but you have shown ZERO interest in this, so I'm probably going to delay going hard core until summer when I can focus on this more.
-Identifying letters and numbers
-Riding your tricycle
-Taking off your shirt
*I figure I don't need to bombard you with lessons right now, so we're just kind of taking it easy and letting you be the guide. You have a quick memory and soak things up so easily, so when a teachable moment presents itself, we make sure to use it.

Skills You've Mastered:
Everything mentioned in previous posts, plus...
-Counting to 10 on your own
-Taking off shoes, socks, and pants
-Knowing all your colors
-Knowing all your basic shapes-circle, triangle, rectangle, square, diamond, star, heart, oval
*There are SO MANY more, but these are the ones that stand out to me right now.

Eli, I love everything about you. You are such a wonderful gift from God, and we are so thankful to him for allowing us to be your Mommy and Daddy. You are so very precious to us, and I can't wait to see how God is going to use you for his kingdom. I can't wait to celebrate many more precious moments with you :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...