Friday, January 22, 2010

Gone, But Not Forgotten

This morning, Josh and I got a call around 4:30 letting us know that his uncle, Tommy, had passed away from a heart attack. All day long, my heart has just been numb. It's so hard to process news like this when you first hear it. It's so hard to wrap your mind around the fact that someone you spoke to and saw just days before is suddenly no longer here on this earth.

Our family is hurting and it's going to be a long time before that hurt is gone. Tommy was so much more than just an uncle to Josh and me. The word "uncle" doesn't even begin to fully describe the relationship that was there-friend, older brother, dad-those words seems more appropriate. Tommy was such a wonderful man...the best dad to his kids, Brian, Sara, and Jessie; a loving son to his mom and dad; a caring brother to Reggie, Lisa, and Sue; and a dear friend to so many people; and last but not least, a future Poppa, to Jessie's sweet little baby that's due this spring.

Even though we know that Tommy is rejoicing right now with Jesus in heaven our hearts are still burdened with his absence. Tommy was the one who took me for my very first motorcycle ride on a Harley. He loved riding his motorcycle. He always made sure everyone in the family was supplied with Gevalia coffee. He loved classic rock music. He enjoyed traveling. He loved photography and took some amazing photographs. He always went barefoot as much as he could when he was home because he hated shoes (ditto!). He always drank his sweet tea without ice when he brought it from home. He loved his kids. He was always up for sitting around and talking. He loved saying, "Oh, well!" He gave Eli presents and gifts even when he knew that he wouldn't be able to be there for his special moments. He donated his time and service every Sunday morning at church to help with running the sound when he was in town. He was one of the sweetest souls and he will be greatly missed.

We love you, Tommy! I can't wait to see you again someday very soon when we join you up there!









5 comments:

Avery's Mommy said...

Amanda we are so sorry for you and your families loss. Our hearts are breaking with you. Praying for you and your family.

labride said...

I am so sorry Amanda. We are praying for you guys.

Penny said...

I'm so sorry Amanda, for all of you and poor Sue. I've lost 2 brothers unexpectedly in the past six years, both were 41, so I especially understand Sue's pain. And Josh and yours, because I lost a beloved uncle almost 8 years ago. A man that loved me as his on and I loved him as a father. (He was my uncle by marriage, but they married before I was born, so that never made a difference.) But after watching my brother's two daughters marry, one graduate high school, and the oldest have her first baby this month without their daddy being here, my heart especially feels for his kids. Every moment for them, from here on out, will be bittersweet. I know all of you will be there for them. God bless.

Anonymous said...

My sweet, sweet daughter-in-law, what a wonderful tribute to Tommy. He was all those things and more to me. Thank you for saying it so well. I love you very much!

Jami Ainsworth said...

He made such awesome impact my husband's life in what short time they've been friends. I can see from the photos and the sweet, sweet stories that your family will always be missing someone. I pray that God sends the peace to each of you to make the days/years bearable without your loved one. I am so glad that he touched so many and that you'll have great stories to tell his children and future grandchildren for years to come.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...