Sunday, October 31, 2010

Balloon Race Weekend-Saturday Morning

Saturday morning Josh, Eli and I woke up early like we always do. I'm going to really love the day that Eli realizes that weekends were created for sleeping in. Around 7:00 AM Josh and I got a text on both of our phones saying that the balloons were going to be flying near the mall. (Yeah, we were the goobers that signed up for a "balloon alert" to be sent to our phones whenever the balloons started flying). Grammy was still sleeping, so we sent Eli into her room to wake her up; we figured she'd wake up a little easier if Eli was the one doing the waking :)

Eli worked his magic and got Grammy up so we all loaded up and drove across the bridge to the mall. We got there in time to watch one of the balloons prepare for its flight and it was so neat to watch it go from a flat piece of material lying on the ground to a huge colorful balloon.

Excited to see some balloons!


Soon the sky was filled with balloons every direction you looked! We loved watching them soar above our heads.


Eli started to try to count them, but soon there were more balloons than he had fingers! Josh said he counted more than thirty balloons at one point and we later read in the newspaper that more than 50 balloons actually flew. WOW!


The balloons were having a contest to see who could get the closest in the beanbag drop. One of the targets was at the mall, so it was neat to see how low some of the balloons dropped down to get their beanbag close to the target.




After most of the balloons had completed their flight over the mall, we headed back across the river to the Riverfront to watch some of the balloons land.

Eli and Grammy going to watch a balloon land.



Eli had a blast from the moment the first balloons started flying until the last balloon landed. He could have stayed and watched them fly all day. Like I said before, this is one of my favorite events that our areas hosts and I was so glad that the weather this weekend was absolutely perfect for balloon flying. Josh said that it was the best that he's seen since he was a kid. Yay! I'm glad we finally got to see lots of balloons flying!

On our way back to the car, we walked down the levee and I decided it was time to teach Eli an important Being a Kid-101 lesson...How to Roll Down a Hill. You'll have to watch the videos below to see the demonstration. Since I'm a teacher I know how important it is to "model" what you want your students to do before they do it themselves. This lesson also applies to rolling down hills. I'm glad I'm past the point where I actually care what other people think of me because Eli thought it was hilarious to see his Mommy rolling down a hill! He was more than willing to participate with me the second time. We had so much fun!

Rolling down the hill :) He loved it!!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...