Saturday, March 8, 2008

Sharing the News

Friday morning I woke up and realized that I had to let some people know our wonderful news. Well, actually I had let one person already know. I left school Thursday and called my closest friend, Nicki. I knew that (1) she could keep the secret for as long as I needed her to (2) she was very creative and she could help me think of ways to tell the family and (3) she knew more than anyone how much I had wanted a baby. She was in Wal-Mart of all places when I told her. I'd just like to apologize now to the shoppers that were at that particular Wal-Mart with her that day. If you happened to see a woman walking aimlessly around crying, well that was because of me. Hopefully, she didn't block an aisle or bump into you at any point, and if she did, well, she had a great reason to!! She had just found out that her friend was pregnant! Telling her and hearing her reaction just made me want to tell all my other close friends and family.


So Friday morning I started off by calling my mother (she was the first family member besides Josh to know--had to let my Mom know first--this is the woman who gave birth to me!). When she answered, I asked if she was ready to be a grandmother. I think shocked is the best way to describe her reaction. She asked me to repeat what I said and when she finally understood what I was saying she was so happy. Mom had been waiting for years for that call. I really had always planned to do something creative, but when it came down to it, I just really wanted to share the news and hear their reactions. I tried calling my Dad next, but wasn't able to reach him. We called Josh's mom, Sue, then. She wasn't as composed as my mom had been. As soon as I asked her if she was ready to be a grandmother, she lost it! She screamed at the top of her lungs, started crying, and if I know her like I think I do, she probably clutched her chest like she always does when something takes her by surprise.

By this time in the morning it was 7:30 and I still didn't even have my make-up on. I hurried to get ready for school and on the way there I tried my Dad again-still no luck. I was anxious all day. I really wanted to climb the tallest tree I could find and scream to the world that I was pregnant, but (1) pregnant women probably shouldn't climb trees and (2) it was really, really, really cold and I would have frozen to death. Therefore, I kept my secret to myself. On my first break, I called my Dad and was finally able to get him. I told him the good news and he said that it was an answer to his prayers. Before we got off the phone, Dad prayed for me, Josh, and our new little baby (of course, I started crying and had just a few minutes to compose myself before 20 1st graders came in and started asking why I was upset).

I went through the rest of my day at school and broke down and told my friend, Sarah. She actually had already figured out that I was pregnant from a conversation she had accidentally overheard when we were in Alexandria together. She was super excited for us! The last of my calls were made after school. I let Clare and Tammy, my grandmother, and Josh's grandparents know. Everyone was ecstatic and moved to tears, well, everyone except MamMaw because she can't cry. She did do a little squeal though, so I guess we'll count that as a cry! This is such a blessing that a lot of people have been praying for. I'm so glad that our baby is going to grow up around so many people that already love him/her and they haven't even met yet!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that's why there's STILL no milk in our refrigerator!! Nicki had like two things to get for me and I got neither of them...thanks MANNA (or should I say MAMA!) Really though, I'm tearfully happy for you and Josh. Get ready for a wild ride!!

theglenns556 said...

Just re-read this post from so long ago. Makes me smile. And, Dan's comment made me laugh!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...