Thursday, August 12, 2010

Teacher Brain

When I was pregnant with Eli I had pregnancy brain for 9 months and several months after I delivered him. I literally felt my I.Q. losing points every month. Simple questions stumped me and I forgot EVERYTHING, still do in fact! So my question to you is if there is such a thing called teacher brain? All kidding aside, I walked into my classroom this morning and felt like it was my very first day on the job again. My classroom looked nice and neat, all my papers were in order, my books were laid out and ready to read, but for some reason I felt like a first year teacher all over again. I told a co-worker that I felt like I had amnesia and didn't have a clue where to go, what to do, who to talk to, etc. Great way to start off my 8TH YEAR OF TEACHING, isn't it? I mean it's not like I'm a new kid on the block (all you 80's kids will love that), but for some reason this morning I felt disconnected from it all. Maybe it was just a combination of nervousness and excitement though...

Somehow I managed to gather my wits about me, push the absent-minded teacher to the side, and I made it through the first official day of school with my new class. From what I can tell already, it's going to be a WONDERFUL year. My students are so sweet and barely talked at all today. Don't worry, I'm not naive enough to think that's going to last! We only went half a day today, but tomorrow I'll have them all day long, 8-3, with no breaks. Say a prayer for me when you read this :) Just kidding, well, not really! You may want to just keep me on that prayer list this year...especially if there is such a thing known as "teacher brain!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, that's how I feel every day! I chalk it up to OLD AGE...
You are a GREAT teacher and I'm sure you will be fine in a few days when you get back in the swing of things. Praying for a great year for you!

Penny said...

I'm feeling that this year, too. We are just testing one on one the first five days.
I think my problem is a certain teenager that is leaving tomorrow for LA College! Talking to financial aid, gathering her "necessities", and trying not to dwell on that "empty nest" around the corner.

Calley said...

Lol- too funny! I also came down with pregnancy brain- and it never departed! If you figure out how to get rid of it- please share! :) I'm sure you have a great year ahead! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...