Monday, August 11, 2008

First Day of School and 28 Weeks

It finally came. The first day of school. I can't believe that it's already here. For the past two weeks straight I have been working at the school in my classroom to prepare for this very day. Last Friday was the first day of school for teachers. It was so good to see all my teacher friends who I had not seen all summer and to catch up on their lives.

I love the beginning of school. I love getting my new pens, pencils, notebooks, binders, stickers, and other supplies I need for the year. I love setting up my grade book. I love getting my list of new students and looking to see who I have-sometimes this can be very scary, too, though! I love getting back into a routine; I'm a person who happens to like being stuck in a rut :)

So when I woke up this morning and got ready for my first day with my students I was excited but anxious at the same time. Every class is different and sometimes what worked with one group may not work with another. I couldn't wait to see just how my class was going to be once they all got together in one room. Before I left, Josh took a picture of me on my first day back at school. In just a few years, we'll be doing this picture with Eli! Today just happened to be the day that I was 28 weeks as well, so you can find those pictures later on in this post.


First Day of School 2008-2009


I got to school and quickly took some pictures of my room. I knew once 20 first graders arrived my room would never quite look the same again! This is what I have been working on so diligently over the past two weeks. I love my new room! It's bigger, brighter, and I'm right across the hall from my good friend, Sarah Atkins. We love doing special monthly lessons together so this arrangement makes it easier for us to plan. Very soon, my new first graders started to arrive and I went into teacher mode. I must say that I love my new little group of first graders. They are so sweet! I can't wait to see all the progress they are going to make this year. As a teacher I know that my job consists of a lot more than just teaching. These students quickly become like my own children as I play the role of mother, nurse, teacher, coach, dentist, and counselor. First grade is a year where they will make lots of memories and it's my job to make sure they have some great ones! I'm nervous about leaving for three months, but I know that they'll be in good hands while I'm away. Speaking of my leaving, I did talk to my kids about that today and explained to them that they were going to be the luckiest first grade class at the school because they were going to have three teachers-me, my aide, and the sub that is going to take my class. They thought that was pretty neat so I think they'll be okay.

My Classroom


Right before lunch, our P.E. teacher brought me something very special. Someone had delivered flowers to me! I knew who it was immediately...my sweet, thoughtful husband. Every year he always sends an arrangement to me on my first day of school telling me to have a great first day. I was so happy to see them! How blessed I am to have a husband that thinks of me like that! Several people thought it was my birthday, but it wasn't. I explained to them that it was just Josh being sweet and then they oohed and ahhed.


My day flew by and before I knew it, it was time to go home. I got all of my children loaded safely in their vehicles and let out a huge sigh of relief...the first day was over and I had survived. Thank you, Jesus, for another great start to a year in first grade.

In other news...I'm 28 weeks! Today is the first official day of my third and FINAL trimester. WOW! This pregnancy is passing so quickly-only 12 weeks left!


3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Those are all the EXACT reasons I loved teaching so much and why I will miss it greatly!! =) I am so glad your year started off well....thanks for the reminder of all the fun I had teaching these past 7 years! Sometimes the craziness and negativity gets to me and I forget exactly what I loved about it. Good luck with your new year! =)

Unknown said...

I hope you had a great first week!! I tagged you!!! Go see!!

Anonymous said...

Your classroom looks great! Is that a smart board I saw? I love those! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...