Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Eli Tastes Applesauce

When we took Eli for his 4 month well visit, Dr. Russ mentioned that if we wanted to, we could start introducing some baby foods to Eli. She gave us a list of foods to try-bananas, applesauce, peas, carrots, and sweet potatoes to name a few. Ever since that visit, Eli has been getting rice cereal once every day. Last Thursday, I decided to try giving Eli some oatmeal for the first time and he LOVED it! I couldn't get it in his mouth fast enough! He's already working on lowering his cholesterol :) He was doing so well on the oatmeal that I thought he might be ready to try a fruit. I was going to give him bananas first, but I was a little nervous about this. When Josh eats bananas his chest tightens up really bad. We told Dr. Russ this and she said that bananas weren't a normal trigger food, but to definitely watch Eli for signs of an allergic reaction once we introduced it to him. I decided to fore go any chance of an allergic reaction and gave him the second food on the list instead...applesauce.

I found the smallest container of Gerber applesauce and mixed it with some rice cereal in a bowl. As you can tell from the pictures and video below, Eli is not too fond of applesauce just yet! He made so many faces that it was hard for me to feed him because I was laughing so hard at him. I was laughing so hard I was crying at one point. Poor thing! He was probably thinking, "What is my Mommy doing to me? What is this stuff?"

I read on the back of the oatmeal box that sometimes it takes 11 tries before a child actually develops a taste for a certain food. So far we've tried applesauce 2 times, I guess that means we have 9 more to go before he acquires a taste for it. I've decided to postpone any more baby food until he gets a little older. I've actually read that some people suggest waiting until the baby is 6 months old before starting baby food. I'm going to give him a couple of weeks on just oatmeal and then I'll start with the baby food again. It's going to get really messy around here pretty soon!

What is this stuff?

Eww! What are you feeding me, lady?

I gotta get out of this chair. Someone...please...help me!

Attempt to escape failed...she keeps putting this stuff in my mouth. What is she thinking?

Whew! Thank goodness! She just told me I don't have to eat anymore. Now, THAT'S something to smile about, Mommy!

2 comments:

Snack-Girl said...

What a beautiful baby! It can really be a mess not to wait until 6 MO to start feeding your baby. Check out http://www.babyfood101.com for different food suggestions.
I hope this is helpful.
Lisa

Aunt Debra said...

How cute. Sorry about the applesauce. All veggies and meats went down smoothly when tipped off with applesauce for my two. Hopefully, he will like bananas or apricots! Good luck on future attempts:)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...