Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Irish vs. The Scottish

So apparently there is a HUGE debate on my mom's side of the family concerning their ancestry. Most of the family believes they are Irish and a select few believe they are Scottish. This debate has been going on since my cousin's wedding which was complete with a cake of the Scottish flag and even people playing the bagpipes. Well, Mom is one of the ones that believes she's Irish through and through. She and my cousin Crandell (another fellow Irishman) have been kidding around with other family members teasing them about being Irish or Scottish. It's actually gotten quite heated. Well, the battle of Irish vs. Scottish came to a conclusion this past weekend at the family reunion at Mom and Dad's house.

Sunday night all my mom's side of the family came out to the house. It was so good for the whole family to be together once again. We hadn't gotten together like this since my great-grandmother died over 10 years ago. In fact, the last time I saw some of my aunts and cousins was a year ago when I was pregnant and they gave me a baby shower. This was the first time that they had gotten to meet Eli in person. Most of them follow us on the blog, but they'd been wanting to get their hands on him for a long time. I'm so glad he finally got to meet more of his family!

Dad grilled burgers and hot dogs, the kids and dogs swam, people mulled over old family photos, others chatted and caught up on each other's lives, and everyone had a wonderful time reminiscing about days gone by. Before too long, we all had to go in where the battle of Irish vs. Scottish took place. Mom had arranged three events-BINGO, Family Trivia, and bowling on the Wii- to decide which clan would be the ultimate victor. My grandmother, leader of the Scottish clan, and my cousin, Crandell, leader of the Irish clan, were the ones chosen to battle it out on the Wii. My grandmother may be 68 years old, but she kicked some Irish tail on the Wii! She won every frame against Crandell and left no doubt who was the true winner. The kids ended up taking over and by the end of the night, the victors were the Scottish. I don't think everyone ever agreed on their ancestry, but it was so much fun getting together with everyone again. I hope we can do it again soon!


Looking at old family photos



My cat, Sunnye. No, he's not dead...just enjoying some really good sleep!

Joshua and Andrea


The kids



Grandma and Crandell battling it out on the Wii










The Scottish won and Grandma got to claim her prize...a box of Lucky Charms!


Showing off their prizes


2 comments:

labride said...

I love family reunions! Hanging out with crazy family members and looking at old pics is the best. And thanks so much for the prayers, it means so much to us.

Avery's Mommy said...

That looks like so much fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...