Saturday, March 27, 2010

And I Would Walk 500 More....

So, you remember those boots I told you about in the last post? Yeah, by the time we got to Central Park, I could already tell that my feet were going to be very very sore. Oh well, live and learn.

When I first looked at the map and saw just how far we had to walk to get to the Museum of Natural History, I doubted whether or not we could do it. Once we got to Central Park, I couldn't believe how fast we actually got there. Every travel book I read said that walking is definitely the fastest way to get around in New York City and now I see why. The blocks aren't spaced too far from each other and it goes a lot faster than you realize because you're looking at everything around you.

Central Park was amazing. I could have taken 100 pictures of just the trees in the park alone. I loved walking down through the center of the park because when you looked up you could see all the branches from the trees intertwining with each other above you creating a canopy almost. I bet Central Park is BEAUTIFUL in the spring with all the flowers blooming. We saw just a tiny preview of what it would look like in just a few weeks and I would LOVE to go back sometime and see it all. What a gorgeous green refuge in a city full of mostly concrete, brick, and glass!




While we were in the park, we were treated to some fabulous dancing by some Michael Jackson enthusiasts. I love me some old school Michael Jackson songs and those of you that know me know that I am absolutely infatuated with people that can dance, since I can't at all! I was most impressed with the girl in the dance troop, who must have been a Cirque de Soileil dancer in her past life. She was really good at all the balancing acts.










We made our way through the twists and turns in Central Park and finally saw the entrance to The Museum of Natural History. I was starving and so was Josh, so we decided to indulge in a New York City dog, hotdog that is! I'm usually not a hotdog person (I accidentally watched a documentary once of how they were made and it completely grossed me out), but "when in Rome....." So, we each ordered a hotdog and, I must say, it was pretty tasty, or maybe I was just really hungry!




After lunch, we made our way into the museum and spent about two hours in there, but could have easily spent an entire day! There was SO MUCH to see! My favorite exhibits were all the animal exhibits. I loved, loved, loved the dinosaur exhibits! It was so neat to see how enormous these creatures were when they roamed the earth. If you do go to the museum, make a game plan because there is no way you can see the entire museum in one day. Pick your favorite exhibits that you want to visit and go see those. It would take multiple trips to see everything this museum has to offer.







This was the last picture that my camera took. I was so forgetful and forgot to charge my camera batteries. I wasn't a happy camper until my wonderful hubby started taking pictures for me with his iPhone! Just another reason why I love him!










We left the museum to walk back to our hotel and took a picture of the outside of the museum and after we took the picture, we noticed that they replaced all the "U's" in the name with "V's". Can anyone tell me why?? Neither one of us had any idea!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...