Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Gingerbread House Fiasco

During Christmas, Elfis sometimes leaves little notes or surprises for Eli to find in the morning when he wakes up. One morning, Elfis had gotten into the marshmallows again and had left a note saying "Make a Gingerbread House". Eli and I were very excited about making a gingerbread house for the second time. It's something we really enjoyed last year and had been looking forward to since the Christmas season started. I made sure the next time I was at the store to pick up a gingerbread house for us to decorate. 


Now it never even crossed my mind to open the box and check to see if the gingerbread house was intact because the one we did last year was perfect. No breaks or chips or anything. So on the night we chose to decorate the gingerbread house I opened the box and found that EVERY SINGLE PIECE was cracked and broken. Not just one piece mind you, but every single piece. UGH!! Eli, bless his little heart, was so positive and assured me that I could use the icing like glue to piece the broken pieces back together. I did my absolute best, but it's kind of hard to stabilize a roof that's cracked in half. I decided to scrap the from the box gingerbread house and make my own using graham crackers. Well, that would have worked, but I'd used way too much icing trying to piece the store bought one together. Eli kept trying to assure me that it was okay and that we could make it work, but I finally had to realize that this just wasn't going to be our night. This was what my table looked like after about an hour of trying to make the gingerbread house. It was a disaster area.


We may have lost the battle, but we were determined to win the war :) The next time we were at the store we picked up another gingerbread house kit and this time we checked to make sure that every piece was intact. We were so happy when we saw that everything looked great! 


This time everything was just picture perfect. We had so much fun decorating our gingerbread house and at the end we couldn't have been happier with the results! 




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...