Monday, May 25, 2009

Eli Travels to Canton

Saturday, our whole family traveled to Canton, MS, to see my cousin C.J. get married. This was a special trip for us because it was the first time that my grandparents, aunt, and cousin from North Carolina (My dad is originally from North Carolina and most of his family is still living up there.) got to meet Eli. They have all been following him on the blog, but they had never met in person. I couldn't wait for Eli to meet them!

Josh went to play golf Saturday morning before we left, so Eli and I spent the morning playing on his new piano; well, new to him at least! Before Eli was born, Nicki dispersed all of Jonah's baby toys to our family. Some went to Sue's house and some went to Josh's grandmother's house. When Sue saw how much Eli loved Hannah's piano, she went to Josh's grandmother's house to get Jonah's old piano for Eli. We love it! Thanks, Nicki and Jonah!


Eli has now mastered sitting up from a laying down position. It happened so fast! He rolls over from his tummy to a sitting position so quickly now. He still isn't crawling, but he's a fan of lunging across the floor. He's earned a couple of bruises on his forehead already from this new sport :) Do they make baby helmets?


Sue came over to watch Eli for me while I went to get a pedicure and run a few errands around town. I got back, packed and ironed all our clothes, gave Eli and bottle, and once Josh got back, we got on the road. Eli did GREAT! He slept the entire 2 1/2 hours to Canton and didn't wake up until 10 minutes before we got to my aunt's house. Mom and Dad met us there and we quickly changed and headed to the church to meet the rest of my family.


We got to the church a little early because we knew that we would have to leave immediately after the wedding was over. The wedding started at 6:30 and Eli usually goes to bed around 7:30, so we knew that he might get a little cranky if we stayed past 7:30. The wedding party was taking pictures in the sanctuary, so we joined in on the fun :) My family from North Carolina couldn't wait to get their hands on Eli. I hate that we live so far away, but I'm glad that we at least have the blog so they can watch him grow up. Who knows? Maybe one day we'll get up there to visit them.

My grandparents (My Dad's parents)

Our attempt at a four generations picture.
So many people were taking pictures, no one knew where to look!

My dad's sister, Aunt Linda, and Eli

My cousin, Ginger, and Eli

When we went to North Carolina during the summers,
I would ALWAYS stay with Ginger and her family.
She was the big sister I never had :)

Ginger looks like she's about 25 but believe it or not she has 2 teenage boys.
She couldn't wait to love on Eli since her two boys are so big now.

Another attempt at a four generation pic.
Dad was the only one that got this one right.
Way to go, Pop!

Eli with his great-grandparents


My grandmother with her youngest great-grandson.

Before the wedding started, I gave Eli a bottle and he actually took most of it before deciding the program looked more appetizing. When you're teething, I guess anything will do!


Quick fun fact: The wedding took place at my uncle's church, Grace Episcopal Church, in Canton, MS. If you are a movie buff, then you may recognize this church because it is the same one they used in the movie A Time to Kill. Isn't the church beautiful?

View from the back of the sanctuary
Front of the church

Josh and I sat in the back of the church expecting that we would have to leave with Eli once the service started. Well, we didn't even make it to the start of the service. The entire church was so quiet you could probably hear a pin drop, and then my son decides to let loose with a string of raspberries, oohs, aahs, and squeals. Yeah, I understand why most people keep babies at home during weddings now :) I did my best to keep him entertained and quiet, but that didn't work out so well. Josh took one for the team and took Eli to the nursery area while I watched the wedding. It was such a special service and I'm glad I got to see C.J. get married. It's so funny to watch us all growing up and getting old. I left after they exchanged vows and went to find Josh and Eli. Eli was so tired but he was fighting sleep as hard as he could. I took him from Josh and worked some Mommy magic and got him to take a tiny power nap during the rest of the wedding. We said goodbye to all our family, changed Eli into his pj's, and loaded up into the car. We warmed a bottle for him and gave it to him on the road. He took ALL of it (so proud!) and then passed out. He didn't wake up until we walked in the door of our house. He's such a good traveler! We had a great time and I can't wait until we get to see everyone again :) We love you guys!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...