Monday, August 22, 2011

Conversations with Eli-The Truth About Beans

A few weeks ago, I made popcorn shrimp, french fries, and baked beans for dinner. It was an easy night for the cook :) Eli was in true form and not wanting to eat anything at all, so I was using all the tricks I had in my bag to get him to take just one bite. Before I knew what I was saying I found myself whispering a rhyme to Eli about beans that my Poppy told me a long time ago. I'm sure you guys know which one I'm talking about but I'll go ahead and write it for the sake of reliving my childhood.

"Beans, beans, the wonderful fruit
The more you eat, the more you poot.
The more you poot, the better you feel,
so let's have beans for every meal!"

By the way, this is why I think I'm a good momma to a little boy. If I had a little girl, I wouldn't be able to share this wisdom with them :) Anyway, Eli immediately started cackling when he heard the word "poot", because any kind of bathroom humor is already funny to him. My rhyme did work it's magic though because he ended up eating, but it was just so he could say the word "poot" every time he took a bite of beans. At that point, I didn't care at all. I was just thankful he was eating :)

Fast forward two weeks and we go to Mammy and Uncle Clare's house for hamburgers, french fries, and beans. Eli was still playing while we all ate, but eventually got hungry enough and came to join us. We were all  talking and laughing when a small little voice was heard above all the others..."Beans make me POOT!"

After laughing so hard I cried, I remember feeling a surge of pride...he's got a great memory! Let's just hope he doesn't decide to show this "trick" at school :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...