Monday, December 15, 2008

Eli's First Outing

Sunday night, Eli went out of the house for his first "real" outing since he had been born. Since Eli was born right in the middle of cold and flu season, we have been really careful about not getting him out and exposing him to all the cold and flu germs. I've been telling everyone that we're still getting used to just having a baby, no need to add a sick baby on top of that! Sunday night though, the weather was very mild and pleasant and our church was having their annual Christmas program. Our church's Christmas choir always presents a musical and we didn't want to miss it. Josh and I both used to sing in the choir, but because of Eli we have taken a temporary leave of absence. We loved singing but knew that there was no way we were going to be able to make all the practices with a newborn. Still, so many of our friends and family, especially his Zue-Zue (Josh's mom), sing in the choir and we didn't want to miss it!

Eli got his bath and I dressed him in his Christmas outfit from Aunt Stephanie, Uncle David, and his cousins, Katherine, Samantha, and Emily. It was a newborn size and my chunky little monkey is quickly outgrowing all of his newborn clothes (in fact, I think he only has 2 outfits left that he can wear in that size) so I wanted to make sure he wore it at least once. He looked so cute in it! He had had such a busy weekend with my family and had just woken up from a much needed nap, but he woke up in the BEST mood! I decided to take some Christmas pictures of him in front of the tree. Look at my little ham! He was smiling, grinning, laughing, and having a wonderful time. I was trying to print out some of these pictures and I had a hard time choosing which one I wanted for his Baby's 1st Christmas ornament. They were all so darn CUTE!









After our impromptu photo session, we loaded up and headed to church. Eli had just eaten a full meal so we knew he would probably sleep through much of the musical...we were right! He was awake for about the first 5 minutes after we got there, but he quickly fell fast asleep and stayed that way the rest of the night. He didn't get to see his Zue-Zue sing but he did hear her. Next year, he might actually stay awake through the entire program. We'll just have to wait and see. The choir did a wonderful job. I loved all the songs and I found myself missing being up there. It was a great way to really live and enjoy the Christmas spirit and to celebrate what Christmas is really all about--God sending his most precious gift to Earth, his son, Jesus. I can't wait until Eli is a little older so we can share the true meaning of this holiday with him.

The only time he was awake the entire night...about 5 minutes!

Sleeping through the musical

Zue-Zue singing in the Christmas choir

The music only lasted about 30 minutes and afterward we had a fellowship with food of course (we are a Baptist church, you know!). So many people came by to admire and stare at our little boy. They couldn't get over how much hair he had! Eli slept through the entire thing though and didn't really get to meet anyone. Nicki was able to snap a few pictures of his adoring fans. I'm so glad we go to a church where my little boy is going to be so loved. It's going to be so nice to know that when I leave him in the church nursery on Sunday's and Wednesday's, he's going to be loved and cared for just like at home. Josh and I enjoyed getting out with our son and seeing everyone that we had not seen since Eli was born. I think a few people were wondering if we were ever going to come back to church again! All too soon, it was time to load up and go back home. Before we left, Eli got a picture with his Zue-Zue. She adores her grandson and is such a good grandmother! Maybe next year this picture will be with Eli's eyes actually open :)

Church members meeting Eli for the first time.


Eli and his Zue-Zue

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...