Thursday, January 15, 2009

2 Month Well Visit

Eli's day began with peaceful sleep. I love going to wake him up in the mornings. He's so sweet when he wakes up, just see the video below. Every morning he wakes up around 5:30 or 6:00 and I feed him and then put him back in his crib while I get ready for the day. I'm trying to get both of us on a schedule that we can stick with once I go back to work. Today was his 2 month well visit with Doctor Russ, so around 8:00 I went in to wake him up.

He opened his eyes, smiled, and then proceeded to do his little wake-up routine that he does every day-stretch, yawn, stretch, poot, etc. You'll hear him poot a couple of times on video...just excuse those! LOL! (He is so going to hate me when he gets to be a teenager for posting a video with him passing gas. Oh, the joys of being a parent...I finally get to embarrass my kid!)



I moved him to the changing table and he continued to stretch. That must have been some really good sleep! He's sleeping GREAT at night. Josh and I are so very thankful for that because we both like to sleep. Last night I put him to sleep around 10:30 and he didn't wake up until 6:00 this morning. Way to go, Eli!

I dressed him and then plopped him in the chair in his nursery to snap a few pictures with him sitting up like a big boy. This is one thing I don't understand about his head. When he is upright, either sitting or on your shoulder, he holds his head up great. It's just when you put him down on his tummy that he struggles a little bit. We've been practicing every day and yesterday he was doing a move I call the Superman. His legs were off the ground in the air and so was his head. It looked like he was flying!

"We're going where today? Shots? Are you serious?"

"Oh no, it doesn't sound like good news for me."

Eli ate again and then we went by Josh's work to pick him up. I didn't want to go through this terrible ordeal by myself! If Eli was going to be in pain, then I wanted Josh to be there with me.
We got to the pediatrician's office and there were a thousand kids in there. Not really, but it certainly felt like it. Josh decided to wait in the outside lobby with Eli while I waited in the inside lobby. Thankfully, Eli was sleepy and snoozed through our entire wait time, which wasn't nearly as long as it was the previous time we went.


After about 30 minutes, we were called to the back. The first thing on the schedule was his weight. Josh undressed him and we headed to the scales. For those of you that haven't seen Eli lately, he's put on quite a bit of weight. He's a solid boy! I can't believe that I actually worried about him not getting enough to eat. I defnitely don't have to worry anymore! My little boy can chow down on some milk!


"Wait a minute...I remember this place..."

"Are you SURE I have to get those shots?"

Daddy and Eli

Mommy and Eli


Before we even put Eli on the scales the nurse mentioned how big he had gotten. She placed him on the scale and we got to see just how much weight he had gained. He weighed 12 pounds 12 ounces. WOW! He's almost 13 pounds. He was only 2 ounces away from gaining 5 pounds since he was born.


2 month weight: 12 lbs. 12 ozs.


We went back to the room and waited on Doctor Russ. While we were waiting Eli had lots of fun playing on the examination table. I think he especially liked the paper underneath him because it made lots of noise when he moved. He couldn't keep his legs still while he was on it!


We knew that Doctor Russ had a lot of patients to see, so we passed the time by reading books. This is one of the books that Eli got for Christmas from Santa and he loves it. All of the pictures are in black and white, which is great for babies! He will sit there, kick his legs, and stare at the pictures on each page completely entranced.



A little bird (thanks, Nicki!) let us know that today was Doctor Russ' birthday, so Eli and I got her a little gift to celebrate it. He couldn't wait to give it to Doctor Russ. Poor guy! I guess he thought that if he gave her a gift, she might let him skip the whole shot thing...NOPE! Oh well, I guess it never hurts to try.


Doctor Russ was so impressed with how big he had gotten and she still couldn't get over how much hair he had. I have been so paranoid that he might lose it, but so far so good. The only place where it appears to be thinning is in the back and that's from him laying on it so much.
She listened to his heart and his lungs, checked his eyes, ears, and mouth, looked at his skin, and checked his head control. Here are the stats for this visit:

Weight: 12 lbs. 12 ozs. (75th percentile)
Height: 23 3/4 ins. (75th-90th percentile)
Head circumference: 15 1/2 in. (50th percentile)








She said he looked really good overall. She said we were some very blessed parents to have a baby that is eating and sleeping so well. We couldn't agree more! Josh said that there is hope for a sibling!! We asked her all of our questions (we made a list about a page long..yes, we are THOSE parents!) and she sat and talked us through each one. I LOVE that we have a pediatrician that takes the time to really sit and talk with us. We knew that Eli was going to be getting several shots today, so we wanted her opinion about the vaccinations. She put our fears to rest and told us that we were doing what was best for Eli by following the vaccination schedule. I definitely felt much better about the vaccines after talking to her. I knew that they were going to hurt him for just a few seconds, but he would be better for it in the long run.

We said goodbye to Doctor Russ and then came the part we dreaded the most...the shots. The nurse came in and had me give him the Rotavirus vaccine to him. That one was painless. I wish the other ones had been like that! Then she had me hold his leg for her while she administered the rest of his shots. Boy, did I feel like the bad guy or what?

Here we are getting ready for his first shot. He's squirming around and not happy already because I'm holding him down. He hates being restrained.

Isn't this awful? This is the face he made in the middle of the first shot. Kill me now! I have never seen my little boy in pain like this. His entire face scrunched up and REAL tears started to form. This was the first time since he had been born that he cried real actual tears.

Poor little guy! He had two shots in one leg and then one shot in the other. I was doing my best to console him, but at this point I was just ready for the nurse to hurry up so I could grab my little boy and comfort him.

This is a face I NEVER want to see again. I didn't cry, but it hurt my heart to see my little boy in pain. He was really brave though. As soon as the shots were over and he was safe in his Mommy's arms, he quit crying immediately. Josh and I sat in the room a little longer rubbing Eli's back and consoling him before we loaded up in the car to head home.


Before we pulled out of the parking lot of the doctor's office, I fed him and he seemed much better after that. He fell fast asleep and soon all was right in our little world again.


He's sleeping again while I write this. I'm hoping that he won't have any side effects from the shots, but we're going to stay in tonight and watch him carefully. Hopefully, when he wakes up he'll be my smiley, happy little boy that he normally is. I'm glad we don't have to do this every month. I don't think my heart could take it!

3 comments:

Audra Laney said...

Poor Eli! And poor parents! He is so big and so adorable. I am dying to run my fingers through that thick head of hair!

Anonymous said...

This makes me cry, of course, but I know it's necessary. Precious baby - he looks so sweet in all the pics except the shot ones. I love him soooo much!
His Zue-zue

Avery's Mommy said...

Isn't shot day the worst? I dread those days!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...