Thursday, January 22, 2009

Eli's Mammy

Before I had Eli, Josh and I decided as a family that I would go back to work when Eli was 3 months old. I love teaching and I have always felt that it was what I was called by God to do. I love the joy I get from molding and shaping young minds. Plus, kids are just so much fun. I love that I can be a goofball in front of them and they don't care or judge me at all. I've thought about it before and honestly, if I didn't teach I have no idea what I would do. I love it that much.

Since I was going to go back to work, we knew that we had to find someone to keep Eli. We didn't really want to put him in daycare and wanted him to have one on one attention while he was still this young. We didn't really seek anyone out; we prayed about it and knew that God would send the right person to us. A few months before I delivered Eli, a good friend of ours, Tammy mentioned that she would keep Eli for us. I didn't think she was serious at first, because Josh had always jokingly told her that she would keep our kids for us. They have the kind of relationship where that type of banter back and forth is completely normal. In fact, she affectionately refers to Josh as "the Brat." Well, it turns out she was serious! I am so relieved and so thankful. Tammy only lives 5 minutes away from my work, so it's going to be so easy to drop Eli off and pick him up every day. I am so glad that Eli is going to have Tammy, a.k.a. Mammy, to watch him and love on him every day. Plus, it's good for him. I want him to be able to go to lots of people and not get so attached to me that he cries every time I leave the room. I want him to be well adjusted and I think having someone else watch him is going to help that.

Yesterday Tammy, Eli and I did a practice run of her watching him. I wanted to go ahead and start bringing over some of his things and I wanted them to get the chance to spend a little time one on one before we started leaving him there on a daily basis. Eli and I got over there around 10 yesterday morning and after everything was brought in and set up, I left. It was hard, but I knew that they were going to have a great time together. I ran a few errands in town and even went shopping for some clothes (much easier to do without a stroller) and then around 2 came back to pick him up. Tammy said he did GREAT! I was thrilled. She said that he played, laughed, cooed, ate, and slept just like he was supposed to do. I was so happy! I'm so glad that Eli is going to get to spend time with Tammy. It gives Josh and I such peace of mind to know that he is going to be in great hands!

"Hey, Mammy! What's up?"

"You're coming back, right?"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...