Monday, January 12, 2009

My Active Baby

I was reading What to Expect the First Year (the Bible for first time parents!) and came across the section entitled "Do You Have a Challenging Baby?" It went on to explain all about the different types of babies. The first was the ACTIVE baby. As I was reading the description, I felt like someone had spent a day with Eli and then written down everything he did:

1. Blankets are kicked off (he has now gotten out of his miracle blanket twice now! That is SO not supposed to happen. Josh and I call him Houdini because he always manages to free his little hands.)
2. Diapering and dressing sessions become wrestling matches (Eli's feet usually kick everything off the changing table every single time)
3. Baby always ends up on the opposite side of the crib after a nap (I am most impressed with this because he does it every time-except the two nights he freed himself- while swaddled. The kid is like an inchworm!)
4. Become restless when feeding-go back and read the posts about our battles with the bottle!
5. They sleep less than most babies (He will usually only sleep for about 30-45 minutes on average after he eats and plays.)

On a positive note, it went on to explain how active babies are a joy to be around. They are very alert and interested in everything around them. They usually learn and accomplish things quickly it said (there's hope for his little head then!) However, it did mention that because they are so active, they're always at risk for hurting themselves...GREAT! LOL! All I know is that I am really going to get in shape when this little boy starts crawling. I'm not going to be able to keep up with him! Fun times!!

My little "Wiggle Worm"

He wiggled, while swaddled, all the way to the end of the crib!

After being unwrapped completely, he starts his wake-up process.
First, he rubs his eyes.

Second, he stretches his cute, little arms.

Third, he stretches his legs.

He repeats this process until he is fully awake. It's usually accompanied by lots of grunts and groans, too. LOL! I love it! I can only imagine where I'm going to find him in the mornings once we quit swaddling him. As long as he is still IN the crib, I'll be okay, I guess!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like Eli and Brendan could be brothers :) When I read the section for active babies I thought it had been written for B as well.

We've been enjoying your blog! Eli is such a cutie.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...